There are some early-model trucks that have definitely engraved themselves into the historical archives. One such truck is the 1940 Ford ½-ton pickup. For the first time since 1929, the Ford pickup trucks adopted the partial appearance of a car.
The Downs fiberglass bodies feature a four-inch chopped cab that was also stretched six inches creating wider doors for easier entry/exit and more interior room. Custom Downs production boxed frames were designed and sold with different suspension and braking configurations. We have seen these cool redesigned Downs ’40 Ford pickups at numerous shows across the county.
70 gears and a posi-unit. A front pinion support maintains the correct pinion angle and helps stabilize the third member. The horsepower is planted into the asphalt by a pair of 255/55R18 Goodyear Eagle tires, mounted on Boyd Coddington Impulse 18×8-inch billet wheels.
To make more room in the compact engine compartment, the Optima battery was located under the cab. A GM 4L60E automatic transmission was bolted up behind the engine with a LoKar shifter for easy gear selection.After block-sanding the fiberglass body smooth and straight in preparation for the custom two-tone paint scheme, Downs used House of Kolor Metallic Midnight Blue for the top half with wispy Cobalt Blue ghost flames.